MMAT5220 - Complex Analysis and Its Applications - 2019/20
- Course Outline [Download file]
- Note that there is no lecture on Jan 30 due to CNY holiday.
- Homework assignments can be submitted electronically. Please read the instructions here: [Download file]
- The due date for Homework 1 has been postponed to Feb 20 (Thu).
- Lectures on Feb 6 and Feb 13 are cancelled due to university arrangement. The next lecture is currently scheduled on Feb 20.
- The midterm is rescheduled to Mar 19 (Thu).
- The midterm will further be rescheduled to early April (either Apr 2 or 9); further details will be finalized later.
- Homework assignments should now all be submitted via "Blackboard".
- Online teaching using ZOOM will be starting on Feb 20 (Thu).
- Lecture on Feb 20 - Meeting ID: 726 322 011; Password: 024831.
- Lecture on Feb 27 - Meeting ID: 375 515 614 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Mar 5 - Meeting ID: 641 195 662 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Mar 12 - Meeting ID: 375 453 975 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Mar 19 - Meeting ID: 441 302 103 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Mar 26 - Meeting ID: 919 646 244 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Apr 2 - Meeting ID: 527 520 358 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Apr 9 - Meeting ID: 616 328 528 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Apr 16 - Meeting ID: 295 050 398 (no password needed).
- Lecture on Apr 23 - Meeting ID: 887 195 077 (no password needed).
- New assessment scheme: Homework 50%, Take-Home Final 50%.
- The Take-Home Final will cover materials up to Week 10 (i.e. including Rouche's Theorem).
- The question paper for the Take-Home Final Exam will be posted on "Blackboard" on May 6, 2020 at 6pm, and the deadline for submission of your solutions is May 7, 2020 at 11:59pm.
- Instructions for submitting your solutions to the Take-Home Final [Download file]
- Urgent (May 7, 2020): There are some important information about the Take-Home Final. Please check your CUHK email immediately.
CHAN Kwok Wai
- Office: LSB 212
- Tel: 3943 7976
CHEUK Tak Ming
- Office: LSB 228
- Tel: 3943 7955
- Office Hours: 10:00am-12:00noon each Thursday
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Thursday 6:30pm - 9:15pm at YIA LT8
This course is designed for the M.Sc. Programme in Mathematics. It intends to provide an introduction to the analysis and applications of analytic functions on the complex plane. Emphasis will be placed on the understanding and appreciation of the theory as well as its wide range of usage. Topics include the study of integrals, residues, series expansions, conformality of analytic functions, transforms and their use in differential equations.
- Complex Variables and Applications, J W Brown & R V Churchill, 9th ed, McGraw Hill
- Complex Analysis, Lars V Ahlfors, 3th ed, McGraw Hill
- Complex Analysis, Elias M Stein & Rami Shakarchi, Princeton University Press
- Homework 1 (new due date: Feb 20)
- Homework 2 (due date: Mar 5)
- Homework 3 (due date: Mar 19)
- Homework 4 (due date: Apr 2)
- Homework 5 (due date: Apr 16)
- Homework 6 (due date: Apr 30)
- Solution of Homework 1
- Solution of Homework 2
- Solution of Homework 3
- Solution of Homework 4
- Solution of Homework 5 (corrected on 19/5)
- Solution of Homework 6 (Temporary)
- Lecture on Feb 20 (watch from 00:30:40)
- Lecture on Feb 27 (watch from 00:27:30)
- Lecture on Mar 5 (watch from 00:12:50)
- Lecture on Mar 12 (watch from 00:18:00)
- Lecture on Mar 19 (watch from 00:16:00)
- Lecture on Mar 26 (watch from 00:28:00)
- Lecture on Apr 2 (watch from 00:16:55)
- Lecture on Apr 9 (watch from 00:11:11)
- Lecture on Apr 16 (watch from 00:00:00)
- Lecture on Apr 23 (watch from 00:17:00)
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: May 07, 2020 16:02:37