Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme provides an annual stipend of HK$240,000 (approximately US$30,000) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$10,000 (approximately US$1,300) per year to each awardee for a period of up to three years. For awardees who need more than three years to complete their PhD studies, additional support may be provided by the chosen institutions.
An application through HKPFS is also regarded as a formal application for PhD admission, and applicants are therefore required to fully comply with CUHK's admission requirements. Applicants who are not selected for the Fellowship Scheme will be considered as normal applicants, and if admitted, be offered a postgraduate studentship during their normative period of studies.
While academic excellence is of prime consideration, the Review Panels will take into account, but not be limited to, the six yardsticks below for the selection of candidates:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Cultural diversity;
- Institutional support;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities and societal responsibility
In particular, evidence of leadership ability gives the HKPFS applicant an advantage.
Application Procedures for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- Go to the website of RGC to submit an initial application and obtain a HKPFS reference number.
- Read carefully the application procedure on this website of CUGS.
- Begin the application, and quote the RGC Reference Number. Each applicant may choose up to 2 programmes.
- Complete the application form and press the "Submit" button. You will see an acknowledgement receipt if the submission is accepted. Print it for future reference, and mark down the Application No. printed on the top right hand corner. If you see any error message(s), please enter the required information according to the instructions.
- Download forms for supporting documents. All applicants MUST:
- Print "Transcript Submission Covering Sheet", and;
- Print "Payment Voucher" only if you choose to pay by bank draft/cheque, and;
- Print two copies of "Referee's Report" or submit two referees' information online.
- Complete an additional form online, and upload and send the supporting documents to each programme.
For applicants who apply for PhD programmes through HKPFS, Research Grants Council will announce the results within two months of the deadline of the normal application deadline for the PhD programme.