MATH2010C - Advanced Calculus I - 2019/20
- (3/1) Welcome to MATH2010C. There is no tutorial on week 1.
- (11/1) Assignment 1 has been posted. It will be due on 23/1.
- (14/1) A remark has been added to Q10 for clarification.
- (10/2) Midterm Exam has been rescheduled to Apr 16.
- (10/2) Classes will be conducted using Zoom starting next week. I will hold a testing meeting this Wednesday (Feb 12). Please check your email for details. For more information, check that page (https://www.elearning.cuhk.edu.hk/)
- (17/2) Lecture will resume this week using Zoom. The meeting ID is 377 127 680 and password is 015024.
- (17/2) Tutorial will also be conducted using Zoom. For Tue tutorial, meeting ID is 434 563 902 and password is 031716. For Thu tutorial, the meeting ID is 442 651 241 and password is 002791.
- (24/2) WeBWorK 1 is posted. It will be due at 5pm on 6/3. To login, your username and initial password are both your 10-digit SID. Please change your password on first login. To do so, click "User Settings" under MAIN MENU. [Download file]
- (9/3) WeBWorK 2 is posted. It will be due at 5pm on 20/3. [Download file]
- (25/3) WeBWorK 3 is posted. It will be due at 5pm on 3/4. [Download file]
- (25/3) Midterm will be conducted online using "Blackboard" as a "take-home exam" with 24 hours limit. It will be available on April 16, 2020 at noon and deadline for submission (via "Blackboard") is April 17, 2020 at noon. It is expected that the paper can be finished within 2 hours. As such, the 24-hour limit should allow enough flexibility. More details will be announced later. Another "take-home exam" will be conducted at the end of the term in a similar way as the final assessment. The details, including the time, will be announced later. The weight of the the midterm and final take-home assessment will be 36% and 52% respectively. For students doing very well in these take home assessments, a further oral exam may be arranged to test their in-depth understanding of the subject.
- (7/4) Midterm will be conducted online using "Blackboard" as a "take-home exam". It will be available on April 16, 2020 at noon and deadline for submission (via "Blackboard") is April 17, 2020 at noon. Please check your email and Blackboard for the announcement of Midterm.
- (7/4) Because of the midterm, there will be no lecture/ tutorial on April 16, 2020.
- (15/4) The Zoom Meeting ID and password of our lecture and tutorials have been changed. Please check email and Blackboard for the information.
- (18/4) WeBWorK 4 is posted. It will be due at 5pm on 27/4. [Download file]
- (25/4) WeBWorK 5 is posted. It will be due at 5pm on 4/5. [Download file]
CHENG, Man Chuen
- Office: LSB210
HUI, On Yu
- Office: LSB 232
- Office Hours: email@example.com
YAU, Yu Tong
- Office: AB1 505
- Office Hours: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: LSB 222A
- Office Hours: email@example.com
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tu 1:30-2:15pm@SC L4; Th 2:30-4:15pm@LHC 104
- Tutorial: Tu 12:30-1:15pm@SC L4; Th 4:30-5:15pm@LHC 104
Functions of several variables, partial differentiation, differential and its geometric meaning, chain rule, maxima and minima, Lagrange multiplier, mean value theorem, Taylor series, and implicit function theorem.
Mainly follow the Textbook by Prof Thomas KK Au for general n-dimension, and supplemented by the Thomas' Calculus on examples, special cases for 2 and 3 dimensions, and exercises.
- Thomas Kwok-Keung AU, Differential Multivariable Calculus, Asian Customized Edition, McGraw Hill Education
- Thomas, Weir & Hass, Thomas' Calculus, 12th Ed., Pearson
- S. Lang, Calculus of Several Variables, 3th Ed., Springer
- Week 1
- Week 2 (updated on 11/2: fixed a mistake in the equation of P on P3)
- Week 3 (updated on 22/1: changed connected to path-connected on the last page.)
- Week 4
- Week 5
- Week 6
- Week 7
- Week 8
- Week 9
- Week 10
- Week 11
- Week 12
- Week 13
- Tutorial 1
- Tutorial 2
- Tutorial 3
- Tutorial 4
- Tutorial 5_updated on 3 Mar with a redundant marking erased in the graph of Q3a
- Tutorial 6_updated on 12 Mar with one pair of "1" and "2" swapped in Q2a(i)
- Tutorial 7_updated on 17 Mar with an equality sign changed in Q1(a)
- Tutorial 8
- Tutorial 9
- Tutorial 10
- Tutorial 11
- Tutorial 12_updated on 28 Apr with "Inverse" changed to "Implicit" on p.2
- Please do the WeBWorK assignments online.
- Assignment 1, updated on 14/1: A remark is added to Q10 (due 23/1)
- Solution of Assignment 1
- WeBWorK 1, due at 5pm on 6/3.
- WeBWorK 2, due at 5pm on 20/3.
- WeBWorK 3, due at 5pm on 3/4.
- WeBWorK 4, due at 5pm on 27/4.
- WeBWorK 5, due at 5pm on 4/5.
|Homework and WeBWorK (Online exercises)||12%|
|Take-home Midterm Exam via Blackboard(12:00 noon, Apr 16 - 12:00 noon, Apr 17 )||36%|
- WeBWorK of MATH2010
- First-Year Mathematics Honours Scheme 2019-2020
- E-learning CUHK
- Link to CUHK Zoom
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: April 28, 2020 12:24:12