MATH2048 - Honours Linear Algebra II - 2021/22
- (2021-09-18) All exercises in the textbook are collected in a single file (see attached) for students who don't have access to the textbook. [Download file]
- (2021-09-17) Homework 2 has been posted. Please submit your solutions via blackboard on or before 2021-09-24.
- (2021-09-13) Submission of homework assignments
- To reduce the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus, you are not recommended to submit your homework assignment physically. As such, you will submit your assignment by uploading the scanned copy via the Blackboard system.
- Log onto https://blackboard.cuhk.edu.hk/ and click on our course 2021R1 Honours Linear Algebra II (MATH2048). Click on "course contents" and click on "Homework X (Due...)". Follow the instructions therein to upload your solution. An illustration can be downloaded below.
- Please scan your solution into a single pdf file and save it with the name like: YourStudentID_HW1.pdf. Upload it via the Blackboard system. There are several useful apps for you to take a picture of your solution and scan your document (such as CamScanner HD and Microsoft Lens)
- There will be no tutorial in the first week.
Prof. Ronald Lok Ming LUI
- Office: LSB 207
- Tel: 3943-7975
- Office: LSB 222A
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tues 10:30am-12:00pm (ERB 404); Thurs 5:30pm-6:15pm (MMW707)
- Tutorial: Thurs 4:30pm-5:15pm (MMW 707)
This course is a continuation of Honoured Linear Algebra I (MATH 1038). It is a second course on linear algebra and will cover basic concepts of abstract vector spaces over general field, direct sum, direct product, quotient spaces, existence of basis by Zorn's lemma, linear transformations, dual spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalizability, operators on inner product spaces, orthogonality and Gram-Schmidt process, adjoint, normal and self-adjoint operators, spectral theorems, bilinear form and Jordan canonical forms. More emphasis will be put on the theoretical understanding of basic concepts in linear algebra.
- Friedberg, Insel and Spence, Linear algebra, 4th edition, Pearson.
- Class Note 1
- Class Note 2 (updated at 2021-09-10 11:00)
- Class Note 3
- Class Note 4
- Class Note 5
- Class Note 6
- Class Note 7
- Class Note 8
- Class Note 9
- Class Note 10
|Midterm exam 1 (Oct 7, in class)||20%|
|Midterm exam 2 (Nov 11, in class)||20%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: October 12, 2021 18:55:18