MMAT5320 - Computational Mathematics - 2019/20
- Hand in HW2 (only first 3 questions) by emailing a scan of your answers (written in pen) by 29th November 2019 23:59pm
- Complete the take home examination and email a scan of your answers (written in pen) by 20th December 2019 23:59pm
- Due to the severe damage of facilities on campus, Term 1 of 2019/20 has been abruptly shortened. For MMAT5320, the assessment scheme will remain the same. Grades will be determined according to the results from the completed continuous assessment, including mid-term examination, homework assignment and the take home examination. More specifically, your final grade will be determined based on the following assessment: - Homework Assignment: 20% - Midterm examination: 30% - Take home examination : 50%
- Office: LSB 235
- Tel: 3943-5297
- Office Hours: Tues and Thurs 1 - 2pm. Email for other times
- Office: LSB 222C
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Lee Shau Kee Archi Bldg G03 Tue 6:30PM - 9:15PM
This course is designed for the M.Sc. Programme in Mathematics. The course is intended to provide an introduction to computational mathematics and their applications. Topics we will cover include: Singular value decomposition, QR factorisation, Least squares problem, Eigenvalue computations and algorithms, Principal component analysis, Independent component analysis.
- Numerical Linear Algebra. L.N. Trefethen and D. Bau (1997) SIAM
- Data-driven Modeling & Scientific Computing. J.N. Kutz (2013) Oxford University Press
- Lecture slides for Part 1 (19th Nov) - some typos corrected
- Lecture slides for Part 2 (Applications)
- Homework 1 (due 10th Oct) - Matrix A_2 in Q3(i) altered!
- Homework 2 (new deadline due 29th November 2019)
Quizzes and Exams
|Midterm (22nd October)||30%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: November 22, 2019 09:29:26