MATH4220 - Partial Differential Equations - 2020/21
- The course in zoom will be on every Monday (8:30 am- 10:15 am) and Thursday (9:30 am - 10:15 am) with ID: 996 7660 2225 and Password: 712850.
- The first test will be from 8:30 am to 10:15 am on Feb. 18. The coverage will be the chapter one and chapter two in the text book. I will send you the question paper by Zoom and you should upload your answers to Blackboard by 10:30 am. You can refer the books but do not copy other one's answers.
- The second test will be from 8:30 am to 10:15 am on April 15th. The coverage will be from chapter three to chapter five in the text book. I will send you the question paper by Zoom and you should upload your answers to Blackboard by 10:30 am. You can refer the books but do not copy other one's answers.
- The final exam will be from 9:30 to 12:30 on 4 May (Please come to Zoom before 9:15 am). I will distribute the question paper by Zoom (ID: 996 7660 2225 and Password: 712850). You can see the details of the arrangement here. [Download file]
- Office: Office: Room 237, Lady Shaw Building
- Tel: Tel: 39435294
- Office: AB1 614
- Tel: 3943 4109
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Monday 8:30AM - 10:15AM, Zoom(ID: 996 7660 2225 and Password: 712850); Thursday 9:30AM - 10:15AM, Zoom(ID: 996 7660 2225 and Password: 712850).
- Tutorial: Thursday 8:30AM - 9:15AM, Zoom(ID: 996 7660 2225 and Password: 712850)
Objectives: First-order PDEs, Wave Equation, Diffusion Equation, Laplace Equation, Boundary-value Problems, and Initial-boundary-value Problems, Well-posedness, Maximum Principle, Energy Methods, Method of Separation Variables, Eigenvalue Problems, Fourier Series, Green's Function.
Prerequisite: Multivariable Calculus (Integration by parts, divergence theorem, Green's Identity, Stokes Formula, Gauss Formula, etc.); Basic knowledge of linear algebra and mathematical analysis.
The following sections in the text book will be covered: Chapter 1, 1.1-1.6; Chapter 2, 2.1-2.5; Chapter 3, 3.1-3.5; Chapter 4, 4.1-4.3; Chapter 5, 5.1-5.6 Chapter 6, 6.1-6.3 Chapter 7, 7.1-7.4 (dependent on time) *Chapter 11, 11.1-11.3 (optional). Assignments: There will be one assignment per week (will be posted on the website), all of them have to be handed into Blackborad on Thursday. Your TA will grade and answer questions from the homework.
- Walter A. Strauss, Partial Differential Equations, An Introduction, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., second edition..
- H.F. Weinberger, A First Course in Partial Differential Equations, Blaisdell, Waltham, Mass., 1965.
- D. Bleecker and G. Csordas, Basic Partial Differential Equations, International Press, 1996.
|Home Test 1||25%|
|Home Test 2||25%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: April 21, 2021 12:11:19