MMAT5110 - Topics in Number Theory - 2019/20
- (7/1) Welcome to MMAT5110!
- (18/1) HW1 has been posted. It will be due on 4/2.
- (1/2) The due date of homework 1 is extended. The new due date will be decided later.
- (10/2) Midterm Exam has been rescheduled to Apr 14.
- (10/2) Classes will be conducted using Zoom starting next week. I will hold a testing meeting this Wednesday (Feb 12). Please check your email for details. For more information about Zoom, check that page (https://www.elearning.cuhk.edu.hk/)
- (10/2) Please submit your homework using CUHK Blackboard. The due date of HW1 has been changed to Feb 18.
- (17/2) Lecture will resume this week using Zoom. The meeting ID is 549 921 221 and password is 033612.
- (23/2) HW2 has been posted. It will be due on 3/3.
- (10/3) HW3 has been posted. It will be due on 20/3.
- Please check Blackboard for future lecture notes, homework, announcements and other materials! [Download file]
CHENG, Man Chuen
- Office: LSB210
- Office Hours: By appointment
NG, Ming Ho
- Office: LSB228
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tue 6:30PM - 9:15PM @ Wu Ho Man Yuen Bldg 505
This is an introductory course in number theory. Topics are selected from divisibility of integers, theory of primes, fundamental theorem of Arithmetic, basic sieve methods, modular arithmetic, diophantine equations, cryptography, number theoretic functions, primitive roots, the quadratic reciprocity law, elliptic curves and other topics.
- Burton, Elementary Number Theory, 7th edition, McGraw-Hill international edition
- Thank Dr. Charles Li for sharing the notes!
- Lecture 1: Introduction
- Lecture 2: Divisibility
- Lecture 3: LCM and linear diophantine equations
- Lecture 4: The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic
- Lecture 5: Infinitude of primes
- Lecture 6: Modular Arithemtic
- Lecture 7: Modular Arithemtic II
- Please check Blackboard for future lecture notes
- Slide of Lecture 1
- Slide of Lecture 2
- Slide of Lecture 3
- Slide of Lecture 4
- Slide of Lecture 5
- Slide of Lecture 6
- Please check Blackboard for future notes
- Homework 1 (new due date: Feb 18)
- Homework 2 (due date: Mar 3)
- Homework 3 (due date: Mar 20)
- Future homework will be posted on Blackboard.
|6 or 7 HWs, 4% each (capped at 20%)||20%|
|CW as bonus, 1% each, added to HW scores (capped at 20%)||%|
|Midterm Exam (Apr 13-14)||30%|
|Final Exam (May 4-5)||50%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: April 13, 2020 11:41:48