MATH5061 - Riemannian Geometry I - 2020/21
- Problem Set 1 is posted and the due date is Jan 27 (Wed). Please submit your assignment via Blackboard.
- The first lecture will be on Jan 13 (Wed) from 2:30 to 5:15pm. If you are not yet official registered on CUSIS or a student sitting in this course, please send me an email to let me know so that I can keep you updated about the course via emails (and send you the ZOOM passcodes).
- General course arrangements:
- In view of the current pandemic situation, this course will be 100% online until further notice. Please keep checking the course webpage for any new updates about the course. We will be using a combination of (i) Course Webpage (for course materials); (ii) ZOOM (for lectures and appointments); (iii) Blackboard/Gradescope (for lecture videos, homework/tests submission).
- Each lecture will be a ZOOM "Meeting" hosted by the instructor, taking place during the same time as they have normally been scheduled. The particulars of the meetings are as follow:
- Lecture ID: 928-2173-5090
- For homework assignments, you can either type up your assignment or scan a copy of your written assignment into ONE PDF file and submit through CUHK Blackboard on/before the due date. Please remember to write down your name and student ID. You can refer to the webpage under "Useful Links" below about how to submit assignments through Blackboard.
- If you have any questions, you can stay in the ZOOM meeting after class or you can email me or the TAs to set up an appointment for a future ZOOM meeting.
LI, Man-chun Martin
- Office: LSB 236
- Tel: 3943-1851
- Office Hours: By appointment
- Office: LSB 222A
- Tel: 3943-3575
- Office Hours: Tue 3:30-5:30PM (or by appointment) - ZOOM Meeting ID: 987-0161-0174
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Wed 2:30-5:15PM (online via ZOOM)
This course is intended to provide a solid background in Riemannian Geometry. Topics include: affine connection, tensor calculus, Riemannian metric, geodesics, curvature tensor, completeness and some global theory. Students taking this course are expected to have knowledge in differential geometry of curves and surfaces.
- "Lectures on Differential Geometry" by S.S. Chern, W.H. Chen & K.S. Lam
- "Riemannian Geometry" by M. do Carmo
- "Riemannian Geometry" by S. Gallot, D. Hulin & J. Lafontaine
- "Riemannian Geometry and Geometric Analysis" by J. Jost
- "Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature" by J. M. Lee
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: January 13, 2021 23:51:49