MATH2040B - Linear Algebra II - 2019/20
- There will be no tutorial classes in the first week.
- Homework 1 has been posted. The questions can be found in the textbook: Friedberg, Insel and Spence, Linear algebra, 4th edition, Pearson.
- Homework 2 has been posted. It will be due on Jan 23 before 6pm.
- Due to the special class arrangement amid the novel Coronavirus outbreak, Midterm 1 on Feb 6 will be postponed. The exact arrangement for the midterms will be announced later.
(Feb 12, 2020) Announcement of the special arrangement of lectures & tutorial sessions
- To reduce the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus, the university has announced to provide online teaching starting from 17 February until further notice. As such, we will be using ZOOM to hold the online lectures and tutorial sessions.
- Midterm 1 and Midterm 2 will be postponed to after normal face-to-face teaching can be resumed (probably in the middle of March). In any unexpected cases, online exam might be adopted. More information will be announced when the situation becomes clearer.
- Please check your email and the course website regularly for updated announcement.
(Feb 12, 2020) Submission of homework assignments
- To reduce the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus, you are not recommended to submit your homework assignment physically. As such, you will submit your assignment by uploading the scanned copy via the Blackboard system.
- Log onto https://blackboard.cuhk.edu.hk/ and click on our course 2019R2 Linear Algebra II (MATH2040B). Click on "Course contents" and click on "Homework X (Due...)". Follow the instructions therein to upload your solution. An illustration is as follows (click to enlarge the image):
- Please scan your solution into a pdf file and save it as: YourStudentID_HW3.pdf. Upload it via the Blackboard system. There are several useful apps for you to take a picture of your solution and scan your document (such as CamScanner HD).
Ronald Lok Ming LUI
- Office: LSB 207
- Tel: 3943-7975
Ki Fung CHAN
- Office: AB1 505
- Office: LSB G06
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tue 8:30am-10:00am, LSB LT5; Thu 10:30am-11:15am, LSB LT5
- Tutorial: Tue 1:30pm-2:15pm, MMW 702; Thu 11:30am-12:15pm, LSB LT5.
This course is a continuation of Linear Algebra I (MATH 1030). It is a second course on linear algebra and will cover basic concepts of abstract vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalizability, operators on inner product spaces, orthogonality and Gram-Schmidt process, adjoint, normal and self-adjoint operators, spectral theorems, and if time permits, quadratic forms and Jordan canonical forms. More emphasis will be put on the theoretical understanding of basic concepts in linear algebra.
- Friedberg, Insel and Spence, Linear algebra, 4th edition, Pearson.
- Homework 1: Sec 1.2: 8, 12, 17, 18; Sec 1.3: 1b, 1c, 10, 12, 20, 23 (Due on Jan 16 before 6pm, please hand in your homework into the homework mailbox after the general office in LSB)
- Homework 2: Sec 1.4: 5(e),(f), 9, 10, 12, 13, 15; Sec 1.5: 2(b),(i),3, 9, 14 (Due on Jan 23 before 6pm)
- Homework 3: Sec 1.6: 2(b), (e), 3(d), (e), 4, 7, 11, 12, 13, 16, 22, 26 (Due on Feb 20 before 6pm)
|Midterm 1 (Updated: Postponed! Feb 6, 7:30PM)||20%|
|Midterm 2 (Mar 12, 7:30PM)||20%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: February 18, 2020 11:15:46