MATH2010A - Advanced Calculus I - 2019/20
- (28/8) Welcome to MATH2010A. There is no tutorial on week 1.
- (11/9) HW1 has been posted. The due date is Sep 20 (3pm).
- (18/9) WW1 has been posted. The due date is Sep 27 (3pm).
- (25/9) HW2 has been posted. The due date is Oct 4 (3pm).
- (10/10) HW3 has been posted. The due date is Oct 18 (3pm).
- (16/10) Midterm Exam will be held in LSK LT6 at 7:30-8:30pm on Thursday, Oct 24. It will cover materials from lecture notes of week 1-5. It is a closed-book exam. No calculator is permitted. Please arrive about 10 minutes before the exam. Remember to bring your SID card.
- (23/10) HW4 has been posted. The due date is Nov 1 (3pm).
- (29/10) WW2 has been posted. The due date is Nov 8 (3pm).
- (7/11) WW3 has been posted. The due date is Nov 15 (3pm).
- (14/11) The due date of WW3 has been extended to Nov 29 (3pm).
- (25/11) Due to the shortening of Term 1 in 2019-20 and cancellation of the centralized final examination, we will use the following new assessment scheme for this course: Homework and WeBWorK (20%) and Midterm (80%).
CHENG, Man Chuen
- Office: LSB210
HUI, On Yu
- Office: LSB 232
- Tel: 39435294
- Office: LSB 232
- Tel: 39435294
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tue 4:30-6:15pm@LSB LT6; Thu 3:30-4:15pm@ LSB LT2
- Tutorial: Tue 3:30-4:15pm@LHC G04 (Y.C. Liang Hall G04) Thu 2:30-3:15pm@ LSB C1
Functions of several variables, partial differentiation, differential and its geometric meaning, chain rule, maxima and minima, Lagrange multiplier, mean value theorem, Taylor series, and implicit function theorem.
Mainly follow the Textbook by Prof Thomas KK Au for general n-dimension, and supplemented by the Thomas' Calculus on examples, special cases for 2 and 3 dimensions, and exercises.
- Thomas Kwok-Keung AU, Differential Multivariable Calculus, Asian Customized Edition, McGraw Hill Education
- Thomas, Weir & Hass, Thomas' Calculus, 12th Ed., Pearson
- S. Lang, Calculus of Several Variables, 3th Ed., Springer
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3
- Week 4
- Week 5
- Week 6
- Week 7
- Week 8
- Week 9 (Updated on 30/10: the partial derivative of z with respect to x on p5 should be 0)
- Week 10
- Week 11
- Week 12
- Week 13
- Homework 1 (due 3pm, Sep 20)
- WeBWorK 1 (due 3pm, Sep 27)
- Homework 2 (due 3pm, Oct 4)
- Homework 3 (due 3pm, Oct 18)
- Homework 4 (due 3pm, Nov 1)
- WeBWorK 2 (due 3pm, Nov 8)
- WeBWorK 3 (Updated: due 3pm, Nov 29)
Quizzes and Exams
- Solution of homework 1
- Solution of homework 2 (some typos in 52(c) corrected)
- Solution of homework 3
- Solution of homework 4
|Homework and WeBWorK (Online exercises)||20%|
|Midterm Exam (7:30-8:30pm, Oct 24)||80%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: January 03, 2020 17:18:39