Dr. Hugo Wai Leung MAK
BSc in Mathematics & Physics;
PhD (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology)
Fields of Interest:
Applied and Computational Mathematics: Remote Sensing; Data Assimilation; Machine Learning Algorithms in Satellite Informatics and Environmental Modelling; Geospatial Analytics in Air Quality Studies; Smart City Development.
- Ul Din, S. and Mak, H.W.L.* (2021) Retrieval of Land-Use/Land Cover Change (LUCC) Maps and Urban Expansion Dynamics of Hyderabad, Pakistan via Landsat Datasets and Support Vector Machine Framework. Remote Sensing, 13(16), 3337.
- Mak, H.W.L. and N.Y.F. Lam (2021) Comparative Assessments and Insights of Data Openness of 50 Smart Cities in Air Quality aspects. Sustainable Cities and Society, 69, 102868.
- Mak, H.W.L.* and D.C.Y. Ng (2021) Spatial and Socio-Classification of Traffic Pollutant Emissions and Associated Mortality Rates in High-Density Hong Kong via Improved Data Analytic Approaches. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (12), 6532.
- Lin, C.Q., L.D. Labzovskii, H.W.L. Mak, J.C.H. Fung, A.K.H. Lau, S.T. Kenea, M. Bilal, J. V. Hey, X. Lu and J. Ma (2020) Observation of PM2.5 using a combination of satellite remote sensing and low-cost sensor network in Siberian urban areas with limited reference monitoring. Atmospheric Environment, 227, 117410.
- Liu, Z., J.F. Barlow, P. Chan, J.C.H. Fung, Y. Li, C. Ren, H.W.L. Mak, E. Ng (2019) A review of progress and applications of pulsed Doppler wind LiDARs. Remote Sensing, 11 (21), 2522.
- Mak, H.W.L.*, J. L. Laughner, J.C.H. Fung, Q. D. Zhu and R. C. Cohen (2018) Improved Satellite Retrieval of Tropospheric NO2 Column Density via Updating of Air Mass Factor (AMF): Case Study of Southern China. Remote Sensing, 10 (11), 1789.
Honours and Awards:
- Departmental Research Output Prize (2021), HKU
- School of Science Postgraduate Research Excellence Award (2019), HKUST
- The 14th Epsilon Fund Award (2019) – Mathematics
- Research Travel Grant Award, University Grants Committee (2016; 2018; 2019)
- Advisor and Coordinator of Mathematics - The Center for the Development of the Gifted and Talented (CDGT)
- Admission Panel Member for Incubation Programmes (Ideation and Incubation Programmes) - Hong Kong Science Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTP)
- Geostationary Environmental Monitoring Spectrometer (GEMS) International Team Member
- Topical Advisory Panel Members - Mathematics (MDPI)
- Special Issue Editors - Applied Sciences
- Reviewer Board Member - Remote Sensing
- Regular Member - Japan Geoscience Union (JpGU)
|Course Code||Course Title||Academic Year||Term|
|MATH1520A||University Mathematics for Applications||2022/23||1|
|MATH1520B||University Mathematics for Applications||2022/23||1|
|MATH2221A||Mathematics Laboratory II||2022/23||2|
|MATH2221B||Mathematics Laboratory II||2022/23||2|
|MATH2221C||Mathematics Laboratory II||2022/23||2|