MMAT5120 - Topics in Geometry - 2023/24
- Course Outline [Download file]
- Please submit your homework solutions via Blackboard (in a single PDF file). In case you haven't been added to the system yet, please email the lecturer.
CHAN Kwok Wai
- Office: LSB 212
- Tel: 3943 7976
- Office: LSB 222B
- Tel: 3943 7963
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Thu 6:30pm - 9:30pm at YIA LT5
This course is intended to provide a brief, but solid and modern introduction to various basic geometries using analytic methods. We will focus on various plane geometries including some non-Euclidean geometries, with emphasis on the hyperbolic plane geometry. A brief introduction to solid Euclidean and hyperbolic geometries using quaternions will also be included if time allows.
- Lecture notes available at the course webpage.
- Modern Geometries. M. Henle, Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1997.
- A gateway to modern geometry, The Poincaré half-plane. S. Stahl, Second edition. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Boston, MA,2008.
- MMAT5120 practice 1
- MMAT5120 practice 1 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 2
- MMAT5120 practice 2 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 3
- MMAT5120 practice 3 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 4
- MMAT5120 practice 4 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 5
- MMAT5120 practice 5 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 6
- MMAT5120 practice 6 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 7
- MMAT5120 practice 7 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 8
- MMAT5120 practice 8 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 9 & 10
- MMAT5120 practice 9 & 10 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 11
- MMAT5120 practice 12
- MMAT5120 practice 11 solution
- MMAT5120 practice 12 solution
Quizzes and Exams
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: December 01, 2023 11:45:43