MATH2040B - Linear Algebra II - 2018/19
- Course Outline [Download file]
- Lectures on Oct 23 (Tue), Oct 25 (Thu), Oct 30 (Tue) and Nov 1 (Thu) will be cancelled.
- Makeup lectures will be held on Oct 13 (Sat) and Nov 3 (Sat), both at LSB LT2 during 9:30am - 12:15pm.
- Reminder: Midterm 1 will be held on Oct 8 (Mon) at 7:30pm in LSB LT1. Materials up to Chapter 1 (or Lecture 3) and HW 3 will be covered.
- Reminder: A makeup lecture will be held on Oct 13 (Sat) at LSB LT2 during 9:30pm - 12:15pm.
- Reminder: Lectures on Oct 23 (Tue), Oct 25 (Thu), Oct 30 (Tue) and Nov 1 (Thu) will be cancelled, and a makeup lecture will be held on Nov 3 (Sat) at LSB LT2 during 9:30am - 12:15pm.
- Reminder: Midterm 2 will be held on Nov 12 (Mon) at 7:30pm in LSB LT1. Materials up to Section 5.1 (or Lecture 7) and HW 7 will be covered.
- The Final Exam will be held on Dec 10 (Mon) at 9:30am at the Multi-purpose Hall, Pommerenke Student Centre. Materials up to Section 6.5 (or Lecture 11) and HW 12 will be covered.
CHAN Kwok Wai
- Office: LSB 212
- Tel: 3943 7976
- Office: LSB 222A
- Tel: 3943 3575
WONG Siu Fung
- Office: AB1 407A
- Tel: 3943 3721
YAU Yu Tung
- Office: AB1 505
- Tel: 3943 4298
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tue 10:30am - 12:15pm at SC L5; Thu 4:30pm - 5:15pm at MMW 710
- Tutorial: Thu 5:30pm - 6:15pm at MMW 710
This course is a continuation of Linear Algebra I (MATH 1030). It is a second course on linear algebra and will cover basic concepts of abstract vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalizability, operators on inner product spaces, orthogonality and Gram-Schmidt process, adjoint, normal and self-adjoint operators, spectral theorems, and if time permits, quadratic forms and Jordan canonical forms. More emphasis will be put on the theoretical understanding of basic concepts in linear algebra.
- Friedberg, Insel and Spence, Linear algebra, 4th edition, Pearson.
- Axler, Linear Algebra Done Right, 3rd edition, Springer.
- Lecture 1 (updated on Sep 14)
- Lecture 2 (updated on Sep 19)
- Lecture 3 (updated on Sep 19)
- Lecture 4 (updated on Oct 2)
- Lecture 5 (updated on Oct 4)
- Lecture 6 (updated on Oct 10)
- Lecture 7 (updated on Oct 13)
- Lecture 8 (updated on Oct 16)
- Lecture 9 (updated on Nov 3)
- Lecture 10 (updated on Nov 13)
- Lecture 11 (updated on Nov 19)
- Lecture 12 (updated on Nov 27)
- Tutorial 3 (updated on Oct 2)
- Tutorial 5 (updated on Oct 13)
- Tutorial 6 (updated on Oct 19)
- Tutorial 9 (updated on Nov 16)
- Tutorial 11 (updated on Dec 6)
- Tutorial 12 (updated on Dec 3)
- Homework 1 (due on Sep 13)
- Homework 2 (due on Sep 20)
- Homework 3 (due on Sep 27)
- Homework 4 (due on Oct 11)
- Homework 5 (due on Oct 18; updated on Oct 12)
- Homework 6 (due on Oct 25)
- Homework 7 (due on Nov 1)
- Homework 8 (due on Nov 8)
- Homework 9 (due on Nov 15)
- Homework 10 (due on Nov 22)
- Homework 11 (due on Nov 29)
- Homework 12 (due on Dec 4) Note: This is due on Tuesday instead of Thursday!
- Homework 1 Solution
- Homework 2 Solution
- Homework 3 Solution
- Homework 4 Solution
- Homework 5 Solution (updated Sec 2.3 Q4 and Q17 on 29/10)
- Midterm 1 Solution
- Homework 6 Solution
- Homework 7 Solution
- Homework 8 Solution (updated Q13 on 14 Nov)
- Homework 9 Solution
- Midterm 2 Solution
- Homework 10 Solution
- Homework 11 Solution
- Homework 12 Solution
|Midterm 1 (Oct 8, 7:30pm at LSB LT1)||20%|
|Midterm 2 (Nov 12, 7:30pm at LSB LT1)||20%|
|Final (Dec 10, 9:30am at Multi-purpose Hall, Pommerenke Student Centre)||50%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: December 05, 2018 12:09:34