MMAT5021 - Differential and Algebraic Methods in Geometry - 2017/18
- There is a change of question in Assignment 1. Please do Q14(a) instead of Q14(c).
Lau Chi Hin
- Office: LSB 208
- Tel: 3943 7987
- Office: AB1 505
- Tel: 3943 4298
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Monday 18:30-21:15; ELB 405
This course is designed for the M.Sc. Degree Programme in Mathematics. The course is intended to provide an introduction to the geometry of curves and surfaces in 3 dimensional Euclidean space. The fundamental group and its application in the classification of closed surfaces will also be discussed.
- O'Neill, Barrett. Elementary Differential Geometry. Academic Press.
- Pressley, Andrew. Elementary Differential Geometry. Springer Verlag.
- Miles Reid, Undergraduate Algebraic Geometry, Cambridge University Press
- Torsten Ekedahl, One semester of Elliptic Curves, European Mathematical Society
- Joseph H. Silverman and John Tate, Rational Points on Elliptic Curves, Springer Verlag.
- Supplementary notes on Differential Geometry
- Formulas on Differential Geometry
- Mid term exam 2016
- Mid term exam solution 2016
- Exercise 1 (16-17)
- Exercise 1 solution (16-17)
- Exercise 2 (16-17)
- Exercise 2 solution (16-17)
- Final exam 2016
- Assignment 1: Due: 9 Oct (Mon) (There is a change of question. Please do Q14(a) instead of Q14(c).)
- Assignment 2: Due: 23 Oct (Mon)
- Assignment 3: Due: 13 Nov (Mon)
- Assignment 4: Due: 27 Nov (Mon)
Quizzes and Exams
|Mid-term exam (23 Oct (Mon) 19:00-21:00)||35%|
|Final exam (11 Dec (Mon) 19:00-21:00)||45%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: November 27, 2017 15:05:38