MATH1030A/B Linear Algebra 1, 2013-2014
- There will be no tutorial class in the first week.
- Homework 1 has been posted. It is due on Sept 16, Mon, by 6pm. Please submit your HW to the HW mailbox outside the General Office.
- Homework 2 has been posted. It is due on Sept 24, Tue, by 6pm.
- Homework 3 has been posted. It is due on Oct 2, Wednesday, by 6pm.
- There would have no tutorial of Tuesday session due to the national holiday (1st Oct), students from this session are encouraged to attend the tutorial from other sessions on Wednesday. We will explain computations based on thm. 7.2, and have some proof drill if time allows.
- The midterm examination will be held on October 10 (Thurs) from 7:45pm to 9:15pm at LT7, Lee Shau Kee Building.
- The typos in Q5 of HW4 have been corrected.
- For the homework idea I give in the tutorial, a feedback note of tutorial 5 is given below. Please fill in the argument RIGOROUSLY after you understand it. other problems can be argued similarly.
- Suggested solution to the tutorial 5 revision exercise would be posted. Frankly, studying solution is not recommended in math study, but we understand that as beginner to write rigorous proof need some reference to start. Please look at it after you have attempted the problems.
- The suggested solution to the tutorial 5 is revised.
- Solution to HW4 is posted.
- Homework 5 has been posted. It is due on Oct 24, Thursday, by 6pm.
- For students from T9 and W2 tutorial session, please be reminded again to fix the typo (a mathematical one) in the tutorial notes printed, the corrected one is uploaded below.
- For tutorial note 6, the parallelogram identity in Q6, please change to 2 * (norm(y) )^2 for the last term, sorry for the typo.
- Homework 6 has been posted. It is due on Oct 31, Thursday, by 6pm. (Remark: The missing matrix entry in Q1(c) is 0, actually you are able to affirm it when you perform the induction.)
- The midterm examination 2 will be held on November 7 (Thurs) from 7:45pm to 9:15pm at LT1, Cheng Yu Tung Building .
- About tutorial 9: For the student in T9 session, please note that there should be some amendment in the question 4 and hint given, because of the inner product convention. A supplementary comment note would be uploaded this afternoon. Please pay attention to it.
- Homework 9 has been posted. It is due on Nov 21, Thursday, by 6pm.
- There would be two extra tutorial session before the final examination, two are of identical content. The schedule are Dec 11 (Wed) : LSB LT5 2:30-430pm, Dec 13 (Fri): LSB LT5 2:30-4:30pm. We will do some basic drill on exam-oriented problems.
- Homework 11 has been posted. It will be due on Dec 6, Friday by 6pm.
- Only the best 8 HWs will be counted for your HW scores.
- For the special tutorial, no extra notes as all the problems are extracted from past exam source. Previous to our discussion in tutorial, some remark are given, please refer below.
|(Class A) Wang Yingnan
Office: LSB 235 Tel: 943-7957 Email:
|(Class B) Ronald Lok Ming LUI
Office: LSB 207 Tel: 3943-7975 Email:
|(Class A) Chan Ho Yuan
Office: LSB 222C Tel: 3943-8570 Email:
|(Class A) Zuo Cheng
Office: LSB 222C Tel: 3943-8570 Email:
|(Class B) Cheng Siu Hong
Office: LSB 234 Tel: 3943-7956 Email:
|(Class B) Wang Chuijia
Office: AB1 505 Tel: 3943-4298 Email:
Time and Venue
(Class A) Tue: 2:30pm - 4:15pm (YIA LT5); Wed: 10:30am - 11:15am (YIA LT7)
(Class B) Mon: 2:30pm - 4:00pm (YIA LT6); Wed: 1:30pm - 2:15pm (YIA LT5)
|Tutorial: (Class A&B) Mon 6:30pm-7:15pm (YIA LT7); Tue 4:30pm - 5:15pm (YIA LT7); Wed: 9:30am - 10:15am (YIA LT7); Wed: 6:30pm - 7:15PM (YIA LT5)|
This is the first part of the Linear Algebra courses. Linear algebra studies vector spaces and the mappings between them. This course is intended to provide conceptual understandings and computational techniques of linear algebra. Topics include: System of linear equations and matrices; vector spaces; linear transformation, determinant and eigenvalues/eigenvectors (if time allows).
- Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Insel and Spence (4th edition)
- Homework 1 (Due on Sept 16, Mon, by 6pm. Please submit your HW to the HW mailbox outside the General Office.)
- Homework 2 (Due on Sept 24, Tue, by 6pm)
- Homework 3 (Due on Oct 2, Wednesday, by 6pm)
- Homework 4 (Due on Oct 9, Wednesday, by 6pm)
- Homework 5 (Due on Oct 24, Thursday, by 6pm)
- Homework 6 (Due on Oct 31, Thursday, by 6pm)
- Homework 7 (You do NOT need to hand in this HW. Solution will be posted on Nov 6 (evening)).)
- Homework 8 (Due on Nov 14, Thursday, by 6pm)
- Homework 9 (Due on Nov , Thursday, by 6pm)
- Homework 10 (Due on Nov 28, Thursday, by 6pm)
- Homework 11 (Due on Dec 6, Friday, by 6pm)
Quizzes and Exams
|Midterm I, October 10, Thurs, 7:45pm-9:30pm (LT7, Lee Shau Kee Building)|| ||20%|
|Midterm 2, November 7, Thurs, 7:45pm-9:30pm (LT1, Cheng Yu Tung Building)|| ||20%|
|Final Exam. Time and Location TBA. || ||55%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work
submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any
related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University.
Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself /
herself familiar with the content of the following website:
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Last updated: December 13, 2013 22:04:39