Second Major in Mathematics
The new undergraduate curriculum offers an extra year for many students to pursue a second major in Mathematics. A single degree indicating two majors will be awarded, the degree being that of the first major. In particular, the BEd in Mathematics and Mathematics Education is a double major programme, for which all enquiries should be directed to the Faculty of Education.
Students who wish to declare a double major must complete the requirements of both majors within the normal period of study and attain the required cumulative grade point average (CGPA).
Students are advised to search for "second major" in CUHK RES for the most updated procedures, and the application period applicable to the current academic year.
- With the approval of the first major department and ours, students may declare a second major in Mathematics at the start of the last term of attendance within the normative study period.
- Students can make inquiries to us and express in writing the intention of declaring the second major at least one term before registration of the second major.
- Before making the declaration, students must have attained a CGPA of 3.0 or above in all the courses taken before the last term of attendance. Students must also have completed/registered for all course requirements for graduation purposes in the first major (including Faculty/University/College requirements) at the time the declaration of second major is made.
- The application form for "Declaration of a Second Major" is obtainable from CUHK RES within the add/drop period of each term. Students permitted to declare a second major should submit the approved form to RES by the close of the application period listed in CUHK RES.
- Students who have declared double major and cannot complete the requirements of the first or second major within the normative study period will be charged a prescribed fee for the remaining units of courses according to the fee schedule on the CUHK RES homepage.