In addition to the general entry requirements of the CUHK Graduate School (CUGS), applicants should have majored in Mathematics or related fields. Applicants may be required to attend an interview. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in Mathematics may also be required in some cases.
Current undergraduates who are expected to graduate in the current academic year may apply for admission.
Non-final-year undergraduates aiming for graduate studies in Mathematics are advised to approach professors early to discuss their proposed fields of research and expectations in graduate school.
Applicants with degrees awarded by overseas universities by distance learning or by completing a curriculum of short duration may be required to provide assessment report from the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) on the level of qualification obtained.
Applicants are advised to visit CUGS for the latest information and detailed procedures. The following information is correct as of April 2015.
All applicants must fulfil the English Language Proficiency Requirement prescribed below before they are admitted.
- Possess a pass grade in English in one of the following
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Exam. (AS Level);
- Hong Kong Higher Level Exam;
- CUHK Matriculation Exam; or
- Achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
- Have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English speaking country; or
- Submit one of the following original score
reports/certificates for assessment by the programmes concerned:
- TOEFL (normally not lower than 550 Paper-based; 213 computer-based; and 79 internet-based);
- IELTS (Academic) (normally not lower than Band 6.5);
- GMAT (Verbal, normally not lower than 21); or
- Have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English speaking country.
Please apply online. The application fee is HK$300 (non-refundable) per programme.
Please be reminded of the following supporting documents:
- Official transcripts from the University attended by
- For non-CUHK qualifications: Photocopies will not be accepted. The original official transcript must reach our Graduate Division directly from the University, or in sealed envelopes and sent by the applicant with other supporting documents to the Graduate Division.
- For CUHK qualifications (Bachelor's or higher degrees): Photocopies of transcript issued by CUHK are accepted.
- Copies of degree certificates;
- Documents showing the applicant has fulfilled the Graduate School’s English Language Proficiency Requirement;
- Confidential recommendations from two referees respectively;
- Confidential Recommendations must reach our Graduate Division directly from the referees. The referees can submit the Confidential Recommendations on the Internet.
- Application fee receipt (not necessary for credit card payment through online application);
- Copies of identity card or passport;
- Other supporting documents upon request of the respective division; and
- Additional information or documentary proof upon request of the university, if deemed necessary.
All non-local students must obtain a student visa or entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration for entering Hong Kong for the purpose of education. For enquiries about entry visa requirements, please visit the Immigration Department website.
Non-local applicants who have been given provisional offers should not come to register at the University until the Graduate School has confirmed their admission and informed them of such. The Graduate School will not accept responsibility for applicants who come to register without such confirmation.
Please be reminded to check the CUHK Graduate School website for the latest information.