MATH3030 - Abstract Algebra - 2017/18
- The lecture on the first Monday (Sep 4) will be suspended; the first lecture begins on Thursday (Sep 7).
- HW 1 (due date: Sep 14) has been posted.
- HW 2 (due date: Sep 21) has been posted.
- HW 3 (due date: Sep 28) has been posted.
- HW 4 (due date: Oct 6) has been posted. Note that the due date is on Friday since Oct 5 (Thursday) is a public holiday.
- Reminder: Midterm 1 will be held on Oct 12 (Thu) at 12:30pm in LSB LT3. Materials up to Lecture 2 and HW 4 will be covered.
- HW 5 (due date: Oct 19) has been posted.
- Important Announcement: Starting from Oct 19 (Thu) the Thursday Lecture and Tutorial will be held at BMS LT, while starting from Oct 23 (Mon) the Monday Lectures will be held at LSB C1.
- HW 6 (due date: Nov 2) has been posted.
- HW 7 (due date: Nov 16) has been posted.
- Reminder: Midterm 2 will be held on Nov 9 (Thu) at 12:30pm in BMS LT. Materials up to Lecture 4 and HW 6 will be covered.
- Reminder: All classes will be suspended on Nov 16 (Thu) due to the congregation.
- HW 8 (due date: Nov 23) has been posted.
- A make up lecture + tutorial will be held on Dec 4 (Mon) at 9:30am in LSB C1.
- HW 9 (new due date: Dec 10) has been posted.
- The Final Exam will be held on Dec 15 (Fri) at 9:30am in Thomas H C Cheung Gymnasium, UC.
Chan Kwok Wai 陳國威
- Office: LSB 212
- Tel: 3943 7976
Hau Chun Yin 侯駿彥
- Office: LSB 232
- Tel: 3943 5294
- Office Hours: Tue 9:30am - 12:30pm, Thu 9:30am - 11:30am and Fri 9:30am - 12:30pm
Jiang Ning 江寧
- Office: AB1 505
- Tel: 3943 4298
- Office Hours: Mon 2:00pm - 5:00pm, Thu 9:30am - 12:00noon and Fri 9:30am - 12:00noon
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Mon 8:30am - 10:15am, LSB LT4 (LSB C1 starting from Oct 23); Thu 12:30pm - 1:15pm, LSB LT3 (BMS LT starting from Oct 19)
- Tutorial: Thu 1:30pm - 2:15pm, LSB LT3 (BMS LT starting from Oct 19)
In this course, we will discuss more advanced topics in group theory and ring theory which include:
- Normal subgroups; quotient groups
- Isomorphism theorems and series of groups
- Group action; Cayley's theorem
- Sylow theorems and their applications
- Prime and maximal ideals
- Factorization in rings; PIDs and UFDs
We assume as prerequisite a solid understanding of the basic theory of groups and rings, as covered in Math 2070 or Sections 4-10, 13, 18-23 & 26 in our textbook.
- J. Fraleigh, A First Course in Abstract Algebra, 7th edition, Addison-Wesley.
- M. Artin, Algebra, 2nd edition, Prentice Hall.
- D. Dummit and R. Foote, Abstract Algebra, 3rd edition, John Wiley and Sons.
- Review of basic group theory (updated on Sep 4)
- Lecture 1 (updated on Sep 18)
- Lecture 2 (updated on Sep 25)
- Lecture 3 (updated on Oct 9)
- Lecture 4 (updated on Oct 23)
- Lecture 5 (updated on Nov 20)
- Review of basic ring theory (updated on Nov 13)
- Lecture 6 (updated on Nov 20)
- Lecture 7 (updated on Nov 23)
- Tut 1, 14 Sep 2017
- Tut 2, 21 Sep 2017
- Tut 3, 28 Sep 2017
- Tut 4, 26 Oct 2017
- Tut 5, 2 Nov 2017
- Tut 6, 23 Nov 2017
- Most of the homework problems came from our textbook.
- Optional problems mean they will not be counted towards the score of the homework.
- HW 1 (due date: Sep 14)
- HW 2 (due date: Sep 21)
- HW 3 (due date: Sep 28)
- HW 4 (due date: Oct 6)
- HW 5 (due date: Oct 19)
- HW 6 (due date: Nov 2)
- HW 7 (due date: Nov 16)
- HW 8 (due date: Nov 23)
- HW 9 (new due date: Dec 10)
Quizzes and Exams
- Solutions to HW1
- Solutions to HW2
- Solutions to HW3
- Solutions to HW4
- Solutions to HW5
- Solutions to HW6
- Solutions to HW7
- Solutions to HW8
- Solutions to HW9
|Midterm 1 - Oct 12 (Thu), 12:30pm at LSB LT3||20%|
|Midterm 2 - Nov 9 (Thu), 12:30pm at BMS LT||20%|
|Final - Dec 15 (Fri), 10:30am at Thomas H C Cheung Gymnasium, UC||50%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: December 20, 2017 21:45:59