MATH2530 - Advanced Calculus I for Physical Science and Engineering - 2017/18
- (Jan 9) For the course outline, see here.
- (Jan 9) The tentative time for Quiz 1, Quiz 2 is Feb 8, Mar 22, 6:30pm-7:30pm. If you are not available, please inform us by email before or on Jan 12, Friday.
- (Jan 9) No tutorial in the first week.
- Office: LSB 210
- Tel: 3943-7985
- Office: LSB 232
- Tel: 3943 5294
- Office: LSB 222A
- Tel: 3943 3575
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tu 13:30-14:15, LSB LT4; Th 16:30-18:15, LSB LT4
- Tutorial: Tu 14:30-15:15, LSB LT4; Th 09:30-10:15, LSB LT3
This course covers the most common techniques and methods of multivariable differential calculus, with an emphasis on examples of two/three variables. Reasoning and theory will be discussed but not in the most rigorous way. Topics include Euclidean space, Curves and its tangent frame, limits and differentiation of functions, extremum problems.
- Thomas' Calculus, Multivariable (12th Edition), by Thomas, Weir, and Hass, of Pearson
- Differential Multivariable Calculus, by Thomas Au, of McGraw Hill (ISBN 9781259074219)
- Try the following extra exercises. No need to submit.
- Extra 1
|Classwork (in tutorial)||10%|
|Quiz 1 (Tentative time: Feb 8, Thur, 6:30pm-7:30pm)||20%|
|Quiz 2 (Tentative time: Mar 22, Thur, 6:30pm-7:30pm)||20%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: January 12, 2018 16:20:17