MATH2040C - Linear Algebra II - 2017/18
- (9/1) Welcome to MATH2040C!
- (17/1) HW1 has been posted. It will be due on Jan 29.
CHENG, Man Chuen
- Office: LSB 210
- Tel: 3943 7985
WONG, Siu Fung
- Office: AB1 407A
- Tel: 3943 3721
- Office: AB1 614
- Tel: 3943 4109
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tuesday 8:30-10:15am, LSB LT5; Thursday 10:30-11:15am, LSB LT5
- Tutorial: Tuesday 1:30-2:15pm, MMW 702; Thursday 11:30am-12:15pm, LSB LT5
This is a continuation of MATH1030. Topics include: linear mapping and its matrix representation, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, inner product spaces, Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization, spectral theorems and, if time permitted, quadratic forms and Jordan canonical forms.
- "Linear Algebra Done Right" (3rd ed.) by Sheldon Axler, Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics, Springer. (Available online via the CUHK library webpage)
- "Linear Algebra (4th ed)" by S. Friedberg, A. Insel and L. Spence, Prentice Hall
|2 in-class midterms (Feb 13, Mar 27)||40%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: January 20, 2018 16:44:35