- There will be no tutorial sessions in the first week of class.
- A set of supplementary tutorial exercise is uploaded for students who are in Tuesday the morning class (to supplement for the class suspended in typhoon). The student from other tutorial sessions are also welcome to try. Solution will be posted later.
- Midterm 1 is postponed to Oct 13, Mon, from 7:45pm to 9:15pm. The venue is Lee Shau Kee (LSK) Building LT5. The exam will cover material from Chapter 1-7.
- There would be a make-up tutorial class for students to catch up before mid-term test. The time is 5:30-6:15pm on Tuesday (7/10) at YIA LT7. The material would cover the past tutorial notes, mainly the content from 30 Sept, no new material will be added. Interested students are welcome to attend.
- The material for tutorial on 14-15 Oct is same for 3 classes.
- Midterm 2 will be held on Nov 3 from 7:45pm-9:15pm as scheduled. The location will be at T.Y. Wong (TYW) LT.
- Midterm 2 will cover Chapter 1 to Chapter 11.
Ronald Lok Ming LUI
- Office: LSB 207
- Tel: 3943-7975
- Office: LSB 222C
- Tel: 3943-8570
- Office Hours: Friday 6-8
Cheng Siu Hong (Dominic)
- Office: LSB 232
- Office Hours: Tue 7-8, Wed 7-8
- Office: LSB 222B
- Tel: 3943 7963
- Office Hours: Thursday 7-8
- Office: LSB222B
- Tel: 39437963
- Office Hours: Mon.12:00-15:00, Tue.12:00:15:00, Wed.12:00-15:00
Time and Venue
Section A: Tue 2:30PM - 4:15PM (YIA LT5); Wed 10:30AM - 11:15AM (YIA LT7)
Section B: Mon 2:30PM - 4:15PM (YIA LT6 ); Wed 1:30PM - 2:15PM (YIA LT5)
- Tutorial: Section A & B: Tue 9:30AM - 10:15AM; Tue 4:30PM - 5:15PM; Wed 6:30PM - 7:15PM
This is the first part of the Linear Algebra courses. Linear algebra studies vector spaces and the mappings between them. This course is intended to provide conceptual understandings and computational techniques of linear algebra. Topics include: System of linear equations and matrices; vector spaces; linear transformation, determinant and eigenvalues/eigenvectors (if time allows).
- Steven J. Leon, Linear Algebra with applications, 8th edition, Pearson
- Practice exercises 1 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 1.1: 1d, 6a, 6f, 6h, 9, 10, 11; Sec 1.2: 1a, 1f, 1h, 2d, 2f, 5i, 5k, 5l, 8, 9, 10
Solution has been posted below in the "Solution" section.
- Practice exercises 2 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 1.3: 1c, 1e, 1f, 1g, 1h, 2a, 2c, 2d, 2f, 4c, 11, 12, 13, 15
- Practice exercises 3 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 1.4: 3, 4, 7, 10, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, Sec 1.5: 3b, 3c, 6, 10f, 10g, 10h, 15, 16
- Practice exercises 4 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 1.5: 19, 20, 22, 23, 24; Sec 1.6: 1b, 1d, 1e, 4b, 4d, 11, 13, 15
- Practice exercises 5 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 3.1: 6, 9, 10, 13, 16; Sec 3.2: 8, 9, 10, 13, 21, 22; Sec 3.3: 2c, 2e
- Practice exercises 6 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 3.3: 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20 Sec 3.4: 5, 10
- Practice exercises 7 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 3.4: 11, 14, 17, 18; Sec 3.5: 1c, 5, 6,7, 8, 11; Sec 3.6: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 4d, 4e, 9, 11, 13, 20, 27
- Practice exercises 8 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 4.1: 3, 4, 6b, 6d, 8b, 8c, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22
- Practice exercises 9 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 4.2: 2c, 3a, 3c, 6, 7, 8, 14, 16, 17; Sec 4.3: 2, 4, 5
- Practice exercises 10 (no need to turn in, solution will be posted next week)
Sec 4.3: 8, 12, 13; Sec 2.1: 1, 3h, 7, 13; Sec 2.2: 1, 2, 4, 6
Quizzes and Exams
|Tutorial participation|| ||5%|
|Midterm I, October 13 (Mon), 7:45pm - 9:15pm at Lee Shau Kee (LSK) Building LT5 || ||20%|
|Midterm II, November 3 (Mon), 7:45PM-9:15PM, Location: TYW LT|| ||20%|
|Final exam: Time and location TBA|| ||55%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work
submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any
related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University.
Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself /
herself familiar with the content of the following website:
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Last updated: July 27, 2015 15:14:24