MATH5012 Real Analysis II, 2012-13
- Course outline [Download file]
- From Feb 4 we will move to Rm 707, MMW Building, of 60 seats.
- In Lecture 2 we will first discuss Radon measures and their distribution functions on the real line. Then we move to a discussion on rectifiable curves and a proof of the isoperimetric inequality on the plane following [SS].
- In Lecture 4 we will first complete the proof of the isoperimetric inequality and then discuss a change of variables formula following chapter 7 of [R].
- In Lecture 5 we discuss the product measure and Fubini's theorem following [EG].
- In Lecture 6 we will discuss applications of Fubini's theorem. See pg 172, [R] and Rademacher's theorem in [EG].
- The midterm will be held on March 4. The coverage is lectures and exercises 1 to 6.
- We will meet at Rm 505, WMY (Wu Ho Man Yuen Building) starting from Feb 25. It is near to the train station.
- A set of lecture notes for Real I has been uploaded. Prof Chou will be most grateful if you spot and send him math or typo mistakes in these notes. [Download file]
- I will tell you your midterm score by emails. Non-CU students please let me have your email address. Contact me only if you are dubious about it.
- In Lecture 7 we will wrap up our discussion on Fubini's theorem.
- The notes now contain the newly added chapters 6,7 and 8. Please let me have your spotted mistakes. Thank you in advance. [Download file]
- In the rest of the lectures we will be concerned with Sobolev spaces.
- We will discuss minimization problems in the setting of Sobolev spaces in the last lecture.
- The final examination will be posted on next Monday and is due on April 29.
- A typed chapter nine on Sobolev spaces will be available by the end of May. Please check the web from time to time.
- The due date is April 29. You may discuss but should not copy from each other. You could send in the papers by emails.
|Prof Kai-Seng Chou
|Mr Hardy Chan
Quizzes and Exams
Last updated: April 25, 2013 13:49:39