MATH2040B - Linear Algebra II - 2017/18
- The lecture on Sep 7 (Thursday) will be cancelled to synchronize with MATH2040A and there is no tutorial in the first week. In summary, we will only have lectures on Sep 5 (Tuesday) 10:30AM-12:15PM and no tutorial during the first week.
- The first midterm will take place on Oct 9 (Mon) 7:30-9:00PM at LSB LT1. It will cover all the materials in Lecture 1 - 5 (except those marked with an *). Please go to the test venue at least 5 minutes before the start time and take alternate seating. Remember to bring your student ID and no calculator is allowed for the test.
- After the problem sets are marked, they will be returned to you by the TAs during tutorials. If you were not able to attend a tutorial for some reasons, you can pick up your graded assignment yourself on the designated box for MATH2040 outside the Math Department General Office (where you submit your homeworks).
- Problem set 3 has been posted and is due on Oct 13 (Fri) at 5PM.
- The second midterm will take place on Nov. 13 (Mon) 7:30-9:00PM at LSB LT1. It will cover all the materials in Lecture 1 - 11 (except those marked with an *). Please go to the test venue at least 5 minutes before the start time and take alternate seating. Remember to bring your student ID and no calculator is allowed for the test.
- Office: LSB 233
- Tel: 39437956
- Office: AB1 407B
- Tel: 39433720
- Office Hours: T 9:00AM - 11:00AM, W 9:00AM - 11:00AM, Th 9:00AM - 11:00AM
LEUNG LIU Yusan
- Office: LSB 222B
- Tel: 39437963
- Office Hours: M 1:30PM - 2:15PM, T 1:30PM - 5:15PM, W 3:30PM - 6:15PM
YAU Yu Tung
- Office: AB1 505
- Tel: 39434298
- Office Hours: W 2:00PM - 4:00PM
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tu 10:30-12:15, Science Centre L5; Th 4:30-5:15, Mong Man Wai 710
- Tutorial: Th 5:30-6:15, Mong Man Wai 710
This is a continuation of MATH1030. Topics include: linear mapping and its matrix representation, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, inner product spaces, Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization, spectral theorems and, if time permitted, quadratic forms and Jordan canonical forms.
- "Linear Algebra Done Right" (3rd ed.) by Sheldon Axler, Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics, Springer
- "Linear Algebra (4th ed)" by S. Friedberg, A. Insel and L. Spence, Prentice Hall
- Tutorial 1 (Sep 14)
- Tutorial 2 (Sep 21)
- Tutorial 3 (Sep 28)
- Tutorial 4 (Oct 12)
- Tutorial 5 (Oct 19)
- Tutorial 6 (Oct 26)
- Tutorial 7 (Nov 2)
- Tutorial 8 (Nov 9)
- Tutorial 9 (Nov 23)
- Tutorial 10 (Nov 30)
|Midterms (Oct 9 and Nov 13, 7:30PM-9:00PM, venue to be announced)||40%|
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: November 25, 2017 13:54:19