MATH1010B - University Mathematics - 2017/18
- Please refer to the common course webpage, at http://www.math.cuhk.edu.hk/course/1718/math1010, for material and information common to all sections of Math 1010. (In particular, check that page for homework assignments and announcements.)
- Tutorial notes for Weeks 2 and 3 have been uploaded. Note that attempts to the assignments should be submitted to the locked part of the assignment box.
- The midterm examination will be held on October 25, 19:30-21:00, at LSK LT5. Please check announcement on the common course webpage for the syllabus.
- The final exam will be held on December 15, 2017, from 9:30am-11:30am at the University Gym. Please check announcement on the common course webpage for the syllabus. All the best with your preparation!
Po Lam YUNG
- Office: LSB 234 (see link above for email)
Yu Hin LAI
- Office: LSB 228
- Office Hours: Mondays 10:30-11:30, 17:30-18:30 (at Science Centre East Block LG102), Tuesdays 13:30-15:30, Thursdays 14:30-16:30, Fridays 15:30-17:30
- Office: AB1 407B
Time and Venue
- Lecture: Tuesdays 10:30am-12:15pm YIA LT7; Thursdays 1:30pm-2:15pm WMY 507
- Tutorial: Thursdays 12:30pm-1:15pm WMY 507
The main focus of this course is on one-variable calculus. This section is intended for students majoring in IFAA / QFIN / QFRM, and will place special emphasis on more advanced techniques of computation.
- Chapter 1: Sequences (summary only)
- Chapter 2: Functions and Limits (summary only)
- Chapter 3: Continuity and Differentiability; Extreme value theorem (summary only)
- Chapter 4: Differentiation (summary only)
- Chapter 5: Mean-value theorem (summary only; see also notes below)
- Supplementary exercise about derivatives of exp, sin, cos (no need to turn in)
- Some consequences of the mean-value theorem
- Chapter 6: L'Hopital's rule (summary only)
- L'Hopital rule examples
- Chapter 7: Taylor's theorem (summary only)
- Chapter 8: Curve sketching (summary only)
- Chapter 9: Indefinite integrals (summary only)
- Chapter 10: Definite integrals and Fundamental theorem of calculus (summary only)
- Tutorial Notes for Week 2
- Tutorial Notes for Week 3
- Tutorial Notes for Week 5
- Tutorial Notes for Week 6
- Tutorial Notes for Week 7: Midterm Revision
- Tutorial Notes for Week 7: An alternative proof of lim(x to +inf)x^k/e^x=0
- Tutor's Remarks for Week 8
- Tutorial Notes for Week 9: Taylor polynomials and series
Honesty in Academic Work
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on cheating and plagiarism. Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University. Although cases of cheating or plagiarism are rare at the University, everyone should make himself / herself familiar with the content of the following website:http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/
and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
Assessment Policy Last updated: November 22, 2017 23:37:59